Warren Wilson College is one of a dozen target campuses under the umbrella of North Carolina Hillel, which seeks to provide Jewish students with meaningful Jewish experiences and foster within them an enduring connection to Jewish life. Through its Statewide program, NC Hillel is committed to supporting these local Hillels in two ways:
NC Hillel builds infrastructure by allocating program funds, investing in student leaders, providing marketing materials, training and supporting faculty advisors, strengthening relationships with the local Jewish community and communicating with campus administrations. Additionally, NC Hillel staff, led by Ari Shapiro, Statewide Coordinator, visits each campus to work directly with local student leadership and the faculty advisor.
NC Hillel generates centralized Statewide programming open to students from any North Carolina campus, including a leadership retreat, Taglit-Birthright Israel, and Alternative Winter and/or Spring Breaks (in March 2012, students will rebuild homes in New Orleans).
Warren Wilson College-a short history
In 1894, the Asheville Farm School officially opened with 25 boys attending and a professional staff of three people. It was not until 1923 that the school had its first graduating class. In 1936, the first post high school programs in vocational training begun. In 1942, the junior college division was established.
After WWII, the public education system in NC improved dramatically and the need for the mission's high school diminished. The last high school at WWC graduated in 1957. WWC was a junior college until March 1966 when it became a four year college, offering six majors. In 1972, the National Board of Missions deeded the WWC property over to the college's Board of Trustees.
In the late 1990's WWC added an Outdoor Leadership major and the North Carolina Outward Bound School moved its headquarters to campus. The new millennium approached with a targeted enrollment of 800. Many state of the-art facilities were built including a science center, two computer labs, a library renovation, and several residence halls. In 2003, WWC opened the EcoDorm, a residence hall built with sustainable and ecologically friendly building practices and inteneted to be a live-in educational facility for students. Other green construction on campus meets the LEED's standard.
Warren Wilson's Passover 2009 Poster